Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Wonderful Weekend Book




I briefly mentioned my birthday in my last post. What I didn't mention was the awesome goods I recieved for my birthday. Which included a mix of vintage and glorious books. I recieved The Wonderful Weekend Book by Elsbeth Thompson. Something I had been eyeing at Type books for awhile, buy never took the time to purchase. What's enjoyable about this book is the inspiration it gives you through out the seasons. What with living in a city, the Weekend Book gives you inspiration to bring a bit of the country into your home. Which is something I'm always in search for, espeacially now that I don't have a cottage to venture to in the summer time. I'm always looking for ways to get back to nature. This book is very British, but it has given myself as well as my boyfriend Jessie some ideas to keep ourselves occupied on days off that seem worth while, productive, and over all interesting. Some cool things I want to try out from this book include celebrating Lent. I've never followed to many religious practices, but giving up a vice for awhile (we've limited ourselves to a week) seems cathartic in a way. I've decided to give up spending money frivilously for a week, and that includes no eating out..making meals regularly and packing lunches. Jessie has decided to give up eating meat for a week. Which will be interesting! Jessie and I have also discussed waking up early and going jogging around the neighborhood together. Which will be another cool activity. We also have to take advantage of the park, fit with a track right behind us.

Other interesting ideas from the book for the spring season include, "Hear The Dawn Chorus" which means waking up incredibly early to go to a local forest area and listen to the birds wake at dawn. I would love to wake up to listen to birdsong one morning, if I can manage waking at say 4:30/5am. But I am sure it would be quite the experience. Supposedly you can find tracks of birdsong online as well. Which is what I may resort to. Also, creating a nature table is also on my list. Which is basically filling a vase or plate with various found objects. Or collaging using found objects such as twigs, shells, feathers, flowers, etc. Another reason to go beach combing soon as well. I'd also love to do a spring detox for a couple days, where in I'd cleanse my body of it's toxins while focusing my diet on vegetable soup and tea for two days. Anyway, I think this book will come in handy and comes highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment